March 15, 2019
£25.00 Includes all training and refreshments
10:15 - 16:00
The Edinburgh Academy Senior School
Cancellation and refund policy
- Cancellations must be advised in writing/email 6 working days prior to the event.
- We welcome substitute delegates attending in your place at no additional cost.
- A refund will not be granted if a registrant fails to attend or cancels within 6 working days prior to the event.
- For residential courses cancellation must be advised 28 days prior to the event.
This course is open to non-SCIS members at the cost of £110 per delegate. To book a place please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0131 556 2316
This proves to be an empowering and motivational day to energise and inspire your outdoor/adventurous learning programme. Learn about the pedagogy underpinning adventure in educational contexts, why we do what we do, be inspired by what others are doing and pick up some top tips on how to practically apply this in the school setting. In addition, with the support of SCIS, we will create a network of support so that our conference is a whole year event not just a single day! This event is relevant to all practitioners (from early years and beyond) who have a desire to embed the pedagogy of adventure education both in and outwith the classroom.
The day will be comprised of 3 sessions:
Session 1 – WHY!
We are delighted that our keynote speaker for the day is Dr Simon Beams. Simon is a senior lecturer in the Outdoor Education Section of the Moray House School of Education, University of Edinburgh. He is highly regarded in this respect and has written extensively. This interview will give participants a greater insight into the pedagogy of adventure education and the research that underpins the benefits of this approach.
Simon's input will be complemented by Martin Cooper from the Outward Bound Trust, an organisation renowned for their outstanding outdoor learning provision for young people. Martin will explore the challenges faced by OBT and why change was essential. He will share the outcomes of the changes that were implemented and how a growth mindset approach was developed.
Session 2 – HOW! The challenges and strategies of schools involved in OE
We look forward to colleagues from both the independent and local authority sectors sharing insights, good practice and where they are at ... and where they are going ... on their OE journey.
Session 3 – WHAT!!
This will be comprised of 4 workshops which aim to inspire and up-skill staff to take forward changes when they get back to school
- How to facilitate activities which develop leadership skills and group work with pupils
- How to make the most of your outdoor spaces
- Trips planning and working collaboratively with SMT
In addition to the above, during the lunch break, there will be an opportunity to walk round the market-place which will feature:
- Outward bound
- Networking wall
- Talk board – post thoughts on what would be helpful