September 1, 2017
10:00 - 03:30
Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor Hotel
Cancellation and refund policy
- Cancellations must be advised in writing/email 6 days prior to the event.
- We welcome substitute delegates attending in your place at no additional cost.
- A refund will not be granted if a registrant fails to attend or cancels within 6 days prior to the event.
- For residential courses cancellation must be advised 28 days prior to the event.
Child Protection: Basic Awareness; and Achieving the Standard for Full Registration (GTCS)
This first seminar will give probationers in SCIS schools an opportunity to meet and network with each other. In addition to gaining an insight into the support SCIS can provide, the focus will be on 2 aspects:
Child Protection in the context of GIRFEC
The morning session will provide essential training in Child Protection, covering basic awareness:
- The National and Local Context of Safeguarding and Protecting Children and Young People, including duties under the Children and Young People (Scotland) Act 2014
- Where to look for Guidance
- Definitions & Signs of Abuse
- The Law and Medical Consent
- Responding to a Concern or Disclosure
- The Role of the Named Person and Child Protection Co-ordinator
- Recording and Procedures
- Keeping Children and Young People safe in the Digital World
- Minimising Risk – Good Practice when Working with Children
- Code of Conduct
The session will be delivered by Anne Darling and will include a mix of presentation and discussion around case studies, giving ample opportunity to consider issues and build confidence in the area of child protection.
Achieving the Standard for Full Registration
The afternoon session will be led by colleagues from the General Teaching Council for Scotland (GTCS). It will serve as both a welcome from the GTCS and as an information provision session. Colleagues from the GTCS will demystify the responsibilities and actions of probationer teachers in their induction year.
Please register as soon as possible and by Friday 25 August at the latest.
Coffee & registration from 9.30 a.m.