November 22, 2019
£110.00 per day
10:00 - 15:30
Radisson Blu Edinburgh
The Royal Mile
Cancellation and refund policy
- Cancellations must be advised in writing/email 6 working days prior to the event.
- We welcome substitute delegates attending in your place at no additional cost.
- A refund will not be granted if a registrant fails to attend or cancels within 6 working days prior to the event.
- For residential courses cancellation must be advised 28 days prior to the event.
All teachers leading school trips and school trip co-ordinators
This two day programme is relevant to all teachers leading schools trips and School Trip Co-ordinators, and essential training for all teachers taking responsibility for a school trip for the first time.
The programme aims:
- To raise awareness of current issues and best practice
- To help schools to comply with local and national requirements
- To ensure all necessary steps have been taken to lead to a trouble free trip
The course will be led by Dr Susan Hamilton and Anne Darling, Child Protection Consultants, with input from colleagues in the sector with a wealth of experience in leading school trips, expeditions and exchanges at home and abroad.
Day 1 Preparing for Residential School Trips at Home and Abroad
Through presentations, case studies and discussion, delegates will:-
- Consider best practice in school trips and exchange visits and working with host families
- Be informed of the legal issues applicable to school visits
- Examine the procedures following a medical emergency
- Understand the issues regarding medical confidentiality and consent
- Gain access to resource materials to assist in the planning of school visits including risk assessments
- Consider evaluation strategies for school visits
- Be informed of what to expect if investigated for a breach of Health and Safety legislation.
The SCIS course takes into account the national guidance ‘Going Out There - Scottish Framework for Safe Practice in Off-site Visits’, developed in partnership by the Scottish Government, the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), the Scottish Advisory Panel for Outdoor Education (SAPOE) and Education Scotland, which provides a toolkit of risk assessment forms and other relevant pro-formas.
Day 2 Safeguarding Pupils on School Trips: (please make separate registration for this day, Monday 20th January).