Financial Controller - Part TimeWellington School, Ayr , South Ayrshire
Please apply before 24/11/2017 at 12:00 pm
1 Craigweil Road, Ayr , KA7 2XH
Vacancy Description / Summary
We are looking to appoint a Financial Controller to lead, and be part of, the small Finance team at Wellington School.
Wellington School is the only independent school in Ayrshire and the school roll is currently in the region of 530 (Nursery – S6). Year groups in the Senior School typically consist of approximately 50 pupils and most remain in the school until the end of S6. Pupils achieve outstanding results at all levels and the ‘A’ grade pass rate at Higher and Advanced Higher make Wellington one of the top performing schools in Scotland. The school currently employs approximately 90 members of staff, teaching and non-teaching.
Reporting into the Bursar - the main responsibilities include:
• Manage and develop the existing finance team to ensure it meets the present and future needs of the school.
• Preparation of annual financial plans, budgets, management accounts and statutory reports; ensuring these are accurate and again, support the needs of the school.
• Ensure all income and expenditure is accurately processed and controlled.
• Ensure the school’s payroll operates effectively and the school complies with appropriate statutory requirements.
• Assisting with the administration of the Teachers’ Pension Scheme (SPPA) and the non-teaching staff Pension Scheme along with submission of all returns required.
• To be proactive in identifying ways to improve the financial management of the school in terms of results, efficiency and controls.
The candidate should:
• Be a qualified accountant demonstrating appropriate post-qualification experience in a small or medium sized organisation.
• Ideally possess prior experience of working in education. Should this not be the case then the individual needs to demonstrate an empathy and understanding of the education sector.
• Strong IT skills along with an advanced knowledge of Excel.
• Experience of producing accounts accurately and to appropriate deadlines. A working knowledge of WCBS/PASS would greatly assist.
• Experience of Payroll, PAYE and NI would be an added advantage.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
Exact hours are subject to agreement but this role is not expected to be full time and is available immediately.
The Salary is negotiable, based on experience, but is likely to be in the region of £25K.
Applicants should complete the school’s Job Application Form, which can be found on the school’s website at www.wellingtonschool.org/vacancies, and provide a covering letter, both of which should be sent by email to email@example.com. A CV is optional and may also be included. Interviews will be held in early December. If you have further questions about the post, please contact the Bursar firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 01292 269321.
The closing date for applications is Friday 24th of November.
About the School
Wellington School offers children the best start in life through excellent teaching, high quality pastoral care and a rich choice of extra-curricular activities.
Enjoying a warm, friendly, family atmosphere, the school prides itself on realising the full potential of every child in the school. There is an excellent academic record for Higher, AH and university entrance and Wellington is consistently in the top 10 of Scottish schools. Pupils study 8 subjects in S3 and S4 whilst 18 subjects are offered at Higher and Advanced Higher. The success is not simply academic however. Wellington School has nurtured Scottish international representatives in many sports and pupils hold prestigious awards both locally and nationally in art and music. With international school status and a thriving outdoor nursery, Wellington has a great reputation for outdoor education and international education at all stages.