Head of Junior SchoolLathallan School, Angus
Please apply before 20/01/2020 at 12:00 pm
Johnshaven, Montrose, DD10 0HN
Karen Runcie or Gemma Craig
Vacancy Description / Summary
Following on from the successful leadership team of the last 15 years, the Board of Directors now seeks to appoint a Junior Head with the skills to maximise the potential of the School’s exciting environment and enhancing Lathallan’s reputation for educational rigour and achievement across the curriculum. The Junior pupil body is just under 70 and is supported by 7 full-time members of staff as well as a number of subject specialists (Science, PE, Modern Languages, Art, ICT, Learning Support and Music).
The new Head of Junior School will be part of the Senior Leadership Team of the whole school to allow for consistency of approach but they will also have the freedom to lead specific Junior School developments and manage a team of dedicated teachers on a daily basis.
Candidates should have senior leadership experience and be in tune with the varying demands of leading in the independent sector.
Lathallan is celebrating its 90th Anniversary this year.
Responsible to Headmaster for -
• All aspects of Academic, Pastoral and Administrative welfare of all pupils and staff in the Junior School both collectively and individually
• Interface at appropriate levels with parents; other schools; outside agencies and stakeholders
• Junior Routine and variations
• Junior Curriculum Overview (Development, Delivery, Evaluation)
• Junior Learning and Teaching
• Junior Pastoral Care / PCS
• Junior Discipline
• A core Quality Indicator, e.g., QI 1.3 in the context of the whole school
• Health and Wellbeing Group
Junior Specific -
• Curriculum Development – short and long term
• Staff Meetings – nature; agendas; admin; minutes; actions
• Duty Rotas
• Monday and Friday Assemblies
• Events Planning as needed
• Charitable Events Programme
• Junior Council Meetings
• PRD Junior lead
• S1 Entry Scholarships
• Burns Night
• Parent Evenings
• QA Programme for Junior School
• Improvement Plan – Junior School (Preparation / Execution / Review)
• Lathallan Junior Award, Values Points & Inter House Competitions
• Civilianship Programme general and specific e.g. Debates and Poetry
• School Rules Review
• Pupil positions of Responsibility
• Staffing and Room Allocation
• Staff and Pupil References
• Trips approval process
• Presentation Day – Open Morning / Prizes
• Policy Development / Review – Junior and Whole School
• A reduced timetable that reflects the skill set of the successful applicant such as class teaching, coaching, peforming arts or specific academic subjects.
Personal Qualities & additional requirements –
The successful candidate should be able to demonstrate the qualities of anyone placed in a position of loco parentis – compassion, clarity and direction. The ability to lead and inspire colleagues and pupils at a time of time change is essential. As with all posts, a flexible approach will be essential. GTCS & PVG registration would be a requirement of the post as would access to original certificates as proof of qualifications.
To apply: A covering letter, CV and the names and contact details of two referees should be submitted by noon on 20th January to the Headmaster via email@example.com.
Long list interviews will take place w/c 27th January and those short listed w/c 3rd February.
To arrange an informal discussion with the Headmaster please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
About the School
Lathallan School is located on the beautiful North Sea coastline, adjacent to both Angus and Aberdeenshire. The school offers exceptional opportunities for young people to develop their full range of talents academically and beyond. Lathallan is truly special; a 19th century Scottish castle set in magnificent grounds, where pupils are given the opportunity to shine and be proud of their individual achievements - through hard work and endeavour - whilst growing and developing into respectful and modest young people.
Lathallan School inspires its pupils to achieve beyond their expectations, concentrating on its ethos which is based on five key principles – Confidence, Opportunity, Respect, Endeavour and Modesty.
Highly accessible, Lathallan's wide school catchment area is served by daily coach runs from Aberdeen and Stonehaven to the North and Brechin, Montrose and Finavon to the South. Main railway stations in Montrose and Laurencekirk and are just 15 minutes away while the new AWPR route has reduced journey times to Aberdeen Airport to just 40 minutes.