Playground SupervisorThe Compass School, East Lothian
Please apply before 10/05/2021 at 5:00 pm
11 West Road, Haddington, EH41 3RD
Vacancy Description / Summary
We are seeking a well-qualified and motivated person who wishes to make full use of his/her talents and enthusiasm, in working as part of a dedicated and professional team. The successful candidate will demonstrate commitment both to their post and to the life of the School.
They will be prepared to work in a small school environment, developing not only their skills, in working with children, but assisting in areas of school and curricular development.
To work as an effective member of our staff team in the delivery of a high quality child centred service which meets the needs of children and their families.
The key tasks involved would be:
• To lead and support a small team in supervising our children in the school playground (or indoors if wet)
• To lead and encourage positive play among our children and promote a happy and stimulating play environment;
• Develop opportunities for positive play, particularly in providing and managing play equipment
• To maintain a good level of discipline within the playground and liaise effectively with relevant class teachers and school management as regards any issues arising from the children’s experience in the playground.
• To deal with the treatment of any minor injuries which may occur;
• Advise and make recommendations to the Management Team if conditions require an indoors break/lunchtime.
• Be alert to, and make appropriate recommendations regarding, any safety issue coming to their attention relating to the playground.
In addition, for a short period each day, to provide general support and assistance to the class teacher in the day to day activities of the class, which may include the following
helping to the class teacher to prepare the classroom for lessons
listening to children read, reading to them or telling them stories
helping children with number work
helping children who need extra support to complete tasks
helping with art and craft activities and displaying work
caring for children who are upset or have had accidents
playing educational games with children and encouraging younger children to learn through play
helping with outings and sports events
helping with routine administrative tasks
Terms and Conditions
The person appointed will be party to a Contract of Employment between him/herself and the Governors of The Compass School.
The rate of pay is £10.50 an hour, paid monthly in arrears for 39 weeks of the year. An additional five weeks of holiday pay is also paid at the same rate.
The hours which take place during term time only are approximately as follows:
Monday 9.45am – 1.45pm
Tuesday 9.45am – 1.45pm
Wednesday 9.45am – 1.45pm
Thursday 9.45am – 1.45pm
The candidate should ideally hold a relevant qualification in childcare with experience of working in a primary school environment. A recent First Aid qualification would also be desirable.
The appointment is subject to an Enhanced Disclosure PVG check through Disclosure Scotland Procedures.
The Compass School is a non smoking campus.
About the School
The Compass School, East Lothian’s only independent primary school, offers a comprehensive curriculum and a wide range of co-curricular activities from nursery to Primary 7.
Subjects include French, Science & History while activities such as swimming are incorporated into the curriculum for an all-round education.
From the age of eight, pupils are offered the opportunity to participate in competitive sports fixtures against other schools and take part in a range of residential and outward bound trips, from the Scottish Borders to Paris. With an average class size of 17, children receive individual attention tailored to meet their needs. The friendly and caring environment at The Compass ensures children feel secure and happy while they develop their confidence, knowledge and skills.