Research is an important part of how SCIS supports and serves our members’ needs.
From regular research, such as the Annual Census and Exam Results, to projects, such as the Economic Impact Report, SCIS research and statistics supports everything we do.
Each SCIS member school must complete an annual census form by the end of September each year. SCIS uses the information collected to produce a series of statistics to support the independent school sector in Scotland.
In 2016 the survey revealed that:
- There are 29,647 pupils in 72 independent schools - 4.1% of pupils in Scotland
- There are 19 mainstream boarding schools with 3072 pupils – 46.5% of boarders are from overseas
- SCIS schools provide at least £49 million annually in fee assistance, with 26.9% of all pupils receiving some form of assistance
- 3.2% of senior school pupils receive 100% fee assistance
- The independent sector employs over 7400 teaching and support staff
- There is 1 teacher for every 8.6 pupils in SCIS schools